新西兰人被过度征收电费

新西兰人被过度征收电费 32627日的骇人电价只是冰山一角

工党能源事务发言人 大卫帕克 (David Parker)

David_Parker.JPG

 

工党能源事务发言人大卫∙帕克近日批评国家党政府继续袖手旁观,任由国民被多收电费。

在工作稀缺,生意和家用预算都十分吃紧的时节,一个负责任的政府应当保护其公民免受过度抬价之害。实际情况则恰恰相反,5月5日,能源部长在国会里表态,她认为我国目前的电价很公平,而且因为有适度竞争,电价已经被控制得很好。

结果就在5月6日,电力局抱怨Genesis 公司过度收费– 这证明能源部长错了。

最新一起暴抬电价的例子简直是肆无忌惮。据悉,3月26日、27日,Genesis电力公司将平日正常的每度电70纽元至80纽元的收费标准拉抬到每度电2万纽元,仅仅7个小时的时间,用户为此付掉5700万纽元的天价电费!而按理,这个数字应当是25万纽元。

这额外暴征的5700万纽元是由诸如切尔西糖业公司、以及试图为居民提供低价产品的零售商Power Shop等新西兰商企来支付的。这样做的结果,就是打击就业机会和抬升生活费用。

大卫∙帕克说,Genesis的老板是前国家党总理珍妮∙希普利(Jenny Shipley), 这起Genesis暴征电价事件可视之为不爱竞争、贪得无厌的例证。时下,商家与普通消费者都在经济不景的压力下求生存,Genesis竟选择这种时候,利用其市场大户的地位欺诈用户。

政府无疑会争辩说,把上述例子里电费多收的部分减回原样就好了。工党则认为这样做不够。这起事件反映了其背后更多的问题,新西兰人还在受过度收费的物价所苦,同时政府却为此辩护、放任这种状况延续下去。

暴征电价不是孤例,这表明消费者在用电上被过度收费,原因是我国电力市场缺乏有效的竞争机制,才使得那些大鳄们可以为所欲为。

2009年5月22日的商务委员会报告指出,根据斯坦福大学教授、世界知名学者Frank Wolak做的一项深度研究,发现新西兰电力企业对用户多收电费达48亿纽元之巨,相当于多收了18个百分点。

现政府允许过度收费现象持续,或者是因为他们想把股价做到最大,将来一旦再度执政,在卖掉Genesis和其他国有能源公司的股份时可以最大程度得利。新西兰不能让这种华尔街式的贪婪有一席之地。

当局恣意迟迟拖到星期五下午才宣布他们的决定,以为如此一来有关我国电力市场不完善的进一步证据不至于引起太多的公众注意–这种做法也是错误的。

能源部长5月5日对国会承认:她在上周三于自己的办公室里和电力局的主管会谈过。很可能那时他们就已经商量好公布声明的时间了。

 

 

David PARKER
Energy Spokesperson

6 May 2011                                                                 MEDIA STATEMENT
Shocking electricity prices on 26-27 March tip of the iceberg

Labour’s Energy spokesperson David Parker says the National Government continues to to stand by and allow New Zealanders to be overcharged for their electricity.

“At a time when jobs are scarce, and business and household budgets are tight, a responsible Government would be protecting its citizens from excessive prices,” David Parker said. “Instead yesterday the Energy Minister said in Parliament that she believed electricity prices are fair and properly constrained by adequate competition.

“Today’s events — where the Electricity Authority pinged Genesis for overcharging — prove her wrong.

“This latest instance of gouging was patently excessive. It occurred on 26/27 March when Genesis Energy inflated its normal charges of $70 to $80 per MWh to over $20,000 per MWh, charging buyers of its electricity $57 million instead of $250,000 over a mere seven-hour period!

“The extra $57 million was being charged to New Zealand businesses like the Chelsea Sugar refinery and to retailers like Power Shop who try to deliver lower prices to residential consumers,” David Parker said. “This undermines jobs and increases the cost of living.

“This latest overcharge by Genesis, which is chaired by former National PM Jenny Shipley, should be called for what it was — uncompetitive and greedy. Genesis took advantage of its market power to gouge consumers, at a time when businesses and consumers alike are feeling the pinch of a flat economy.

“The Government will no doubt argue that cutting back the overcharge on this occasion is enough. Labour says it is not good enough. This event is part of a wider problem, and New Zealanders are still paying excessive prices, which the Government defends and allows to continue,” David Parker said.

“The excessive prices are yet more evidence of how consumers are overcharged for electricity, and it happened because the lack of an effective competitive electricity market means they can do just that.

“The Commerce Commission report (22 May 2009), based on an in-depth study by Professor Frank Wolak of Stanford University, a world authority, found NZ$4.8 billion of overcharging by electricity companies, equivalent to 18 per cent overcharging,” David Parker said. “Since then prices have increased further.”

“The Government allows excessive prices to continue, probably because it wants to maximise the price it would get for the sale of shares in Genesis and other energy SOEs if it is re-elected. This type of Wall Street greed should have no place in New Zealand.

“It is also wrong that the Government and their Authority have cynically chosen to release this decision late on a Friday afternoon in the belief this further evidence that there is not adequate completion in the electricity market will get less attention.

“The Minister admitted in Parliament during question time yesterday that she had met with the head of the Electricity Authority on Wednesday in her office. It is highly likely the timing of this announcement would have been discussed.”

About ryanjiadmin